Monday, July 11, 2005

Chronic Exaustion-R-Us

Oh Lordy I am shattered. In the last 35 hours I have worked 17 hours and slept three. I am still confused as to what day it is. It all started Saturday when I had to go in to work early to cover the book section while the managers went to a book sale so that was from 8 until eleven. I was not timetabled for this though so I had to come back at half one in order to work my seven hour shift on the coffee counter. Now this weekend is the North Atlantic Blues Festival up here and that means that there are live blues bands playing on the streets and in the bars all day long. The music is actually quite class but unfortunately yesterday afternoon was rainy so that drove everybody inside and we had one of the busiest days of the year. It was just crazy and I did not get home til 8.

“Poor Paul”, you are probably thinking “Knowing him he went to sleep for the night though”. Hah how wrong you were!! I went down town with Susanne and her friend to have a look at all the different bands in the bars and at around half ten I met up with a few people from work. Being mature sophisticates we went to the Wine-bar and scoffed at the young drunkards on the street. Unfortunately then it gets a bit hazy……

I know we left that place at half twelve and the bands were still playing on the streets as it had cleared up to be a gorgeous night. So there was much dancing with complete randomers on the street with crazy blues dance, then we went down to the marina and tried skimming stones and other stuff must have happened too. Long story short, I got home at 4 in the morning but had to set my alarm for 7:30 as I had work at eight and while I was completely in charge of books I was also needed at the counter. Today was quite possibly the longest day ever. Of the people who were out the night before I was the only one who had work and I was like a zombie. I even had a my first coffee, a straight espresso which is kind-of going in the deep end. Between that and the live Jazz-Jam going on in the café I barely managed to stay awake. It is now twelve o clock and I am on again at 7 tomorrow. Oh the life of a sailor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW paul, jazz, coffee, wine, blues, and WORK. lookit you gettin all growed up. at least your tired for a good reason, im tired coz i had to cover for fionnain today coz he wasnt back from witnegen. BASTARD!!!!

there is a heat wave here at the minute though so its all good.