Sunday, September 21, 2008

Some news and an interesting Fact

I am writing this from Clonlara computers. There was hardly a soul around for the weekend so I decided to get some brownie-points and come out home to help with the gardening. It has been such a miserable summer the place has not been touched since June I would say. All the garden furniture is in exactly the same position as they were for my coming-home barbecue. We barely made a scratch on it but every little helps.

I purposefully did not bring any books home with me today though, and not just cuz I wanted an empty bag so I could steal food and clothes. During Friday's class the lecturer was trying to figure out when would be a good time to have the essay deadlines; us Master's students are very mature like that. Anyway, i had my calender thing open to see what weeks we don't have anything due in so we could fit in another essay, and I realised that I have a whole lot of work to do. I worked it out before and I calculated that I have 25,500 words to do before Christmas. The first thing is not due in for a month but I am going to start getting cracking on one this week. Not everything is 3000+, there are several 1,200-1,500 word assignments so I will try and start getting them done.

While planning all this I came to realise that I am pretty happy that I left it 2 years before going back to college. I dont think that I am particularly more grown-up or anything, but I'm more prepared for the course, and feel much more enthuiastic that I would have if I had gone straight in. The thought of learning, or sometimes re-learning, all the socio-political terms does not depress me like it would have. Like what Liam talked about in his post last week, I was feeling a bit brain-dead and its good to be studying again. Saying that though my teeth have been very sore this week, I have to make a conscious effort to stop clenching them the whole time. The same thing happened me when I was working in Dolans, the situation may not be inherently stressful but in the back of my mind something is going on.

Interesting Fact For the Day. In 1938 the Nobel Peace Prize committeee had two candidates and they could not chose between them. In the end they gave the award to a 3rd party, a Swiss organisation that helped international refugees. Neither of the two other candidates ever won the award. Their names? Mahatma Gandhi & Adolf Hitler

No comments: