Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Mainly a Nerd-fest only Steve would understand, also a callout to Pa.

So I am just after finishing watching a new anime film called Steam-Boy. It was good enough, set in a alternative reality in London during the 1890’s. While it was a Japanese Sony production it obviously had a lot of British people in it, the characters were all from Manchester and you could tell and in one shot of Manchestor there is this green pub called ‘Rovers Return’. Those funny-eyes japs would not understand that! I was also watching the previews of upcoming film and there was one that I think Steve would like, its Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and it looks fucking class, I know its called FF:7 but it seems to be about Tidus and I think I saw Yuna and Wakka in it too. Of course this is completely over the heads of ye non computer geeks. The whole thing is done like the cut-scenes from the game. Check it out on ye olde inter-net.

Work is going good, Sunday was excellent. I was in charge of the books for the day and so I just chillaxed in my bare feet for most of it. While I had to do a bit of cleaning after the crowds of The Lobster Festival I was also given a very important task. Yes between much subtle influencing of Suzanne and sleeping with my manager I have managed to convince them to get graphic novels for the store! So on Sunday I was given the task of going on Amazon and ordering 15 of the best one-off graphic novels I could think of. I LOVE MY FUCKING JOB! As it is only a trial thing I left off the heavy bloody ones like Preacher, Constantine, Authority and DV8 and since we were not getting any series I could not get the Batman No-Man Lands, Transmetropolitan or the Sandman. In the end I picked a few Swamp-thing, a few JLA, Amalgam, Batman and Y. We had to get ones that would be the most popular rather than the best art or writing.

I met a woman from Dublin today in the store. It was weird how I realised it. Unlike New Paltz, where I was surrounded by 4 other irish people most of the time, here I am only talking to Americans. I still however notice their accent, but when this woman gave her order it seemed to me that she had no accent whatsoever. Its like the Americans voice are distorted by their accent and an irish voice comes through strong and clear. Anyway she is from Dublin and just over for a few weeks.

I have suddenly realised that since I came over I have worn long pants only 4 times. The weather has been so nice ever since I came here I am just living in my shorts. Luckily I bought another three pairs when I came here. Appearantly this has been one of the sunniest and driest summers on record over here. Since I arrived we have had an average temperature of around the low twenties and a good few where it nearly reaches 30. I have just taken it for granted but Suzanne and Patrick are in awe of it. I just wake up and say ‘of look, another cloudless blue sky’.

Not a very interesting update I know but not much of interest has happened. I suppose I should give a call out to Pa in case he explodes in a bloody mess of profanities. I am thinking of you sweetie and I have sent you a little present, it should be there in a week or two. An email would be nice though.

So long and goodnight all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and i don't have your email address, that's the problem

Anonymous said...

Where's my godforsaken present?

You know whats a big gay is that i've no idea how final fantasy x finished and since it was robbed i'll never know.....oh well. Not to mention FFX-II.

I want your job so much. you should try and get that wolverine graphic novel Origin. apparently it's very rare

Paul Sheehan said...

Origins? i have seen that in a few places over here. Tis good enough but not great.

Zeta said...

graphic novels that so cute - another name for comics!!! Ingenious

Paul Sheehan said...

as with "women's magazines", ie gossip rags