Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stupid Feminists

So the topic this week in my Research Methodologies class is Feminist Epistemology's and standpoint epistemologies. Now I was as clueless as ever started to do my reading but pretty soon I remembered why I get so irritated at feminism. Now I have realised that the fact that i get irrationally hostile to the whole thing maybe be some musculine self-defense method but something about it just really bugs me. I keep thinking that an entire branch of anything being devoted to why 50% of the population is better than the other is not very fair. And thats the vibe I pick up from it, not 'we are women, we are different' which I fully agree with and think should be investigated but instead 'we are women, our way is better'. For instant the piece I am reading at the minute is talking about several theorist views on the Scientific Method and why is is so masculine-based. Now the scientific method is, in my opinion, as neutral as possible, it strives to have no values whatsoever and deal only with hypothesis, antithesis, stc. Now what these feminist theorists were saying that all this would be rendered obsolete once the........to be honest I am not sure about what she was saying but the general just was that women can have periods and abortions and that in the face of this the way we think about biology today should be changed. I can get ye the quote later. Or another was talking about how women have to deny being women in order to survive in a lab.

I have actually stopped readinto be honest. Now I have to be fair and say that the editor of the Chapter, a feminist herself did point out that a weakness in these theorists was that while they talked about how the need for for a change in the way we see science is necessary they could not give any concrete examples, which is in itself a pretty damning indictment for how they think of science.

Its not just these particular things that annoy me, its the idea that I feel that I cant be irritated by them because i am just a man and 'I would not understand'. Perhaps that is true but in that case dont expect me to want to or even try to.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

im angry and disappointed that there is no Liam label. worst friend!

Paul Sheehan said...

why would there be a 'liam' lable on a post about militant feminists? Being honest, ye gont have much in common

Anonymous said...

you tell it like it is brother! i am convinced that militant feminism is pretty much a load of shit. there are those who say that women authors will forever be at a disadvantage because linguistic syntax was created by and for men. another hilarious one is that since many team sports feature an act of unwilling "penetration" by beating to defence to put a ball in a net, or basket, or into a zone or whatever, they actually symbolise rape. why the hell, when there are genuine feminist concerns like access to childcare, wage inequality, an abysmal conviction rate in sex crimes, or, on a global level, female trafficking or genital mutilation, do some radical feminists go out of their way to make the feminist cause a laughing stock? clowns.