Thursday, November 08, 2007

Wellington, Sweet Wellington

So i finally arrived here in Wellington. The ferry over leaves from Picton, a small enough town around 100km from Nelson. I was going to hitch but then i realised that while talking to the boss of the scaffolding firm i was going some work for, he mentioned that they sometimes do jobs down this direction. I rang him up and asked if there was any Chance of getting a lift in the van and he said sure,and if i wanted there would be a days work as well, paid under the table. I also got a pleasant surprise in this weeks pay packet when i out that i had been over paid by 70 dollars. The agency got onto me pretty quick and asked that i give it back.uhhh, morale dilemma. I think i will give it back though, they gave their bank details and stuff. I will deduct the amount of tax i paid on that 70 dollars though (around 20 dollars), as otherwise i will be worse off than if they had paid me the proper amount, and then if i am lucky i can claim back that tax anyway! huzzah for creative accounting, reminds me of that time i embezzled money from the Dept of Foreign Affairs, but we wont talk about that.

So i went camping last week in Abel Tasman national park, 53km in 3 days so it was not bad. Walked around 5 hours a day, thought that would be no problem as some of the day treks i have done have involved 7-8 hours a day, did not factor in the 13kg backpack though so that made 5 hours just enough for one day. The walk was not that challenging though, a lot of the hardcore hikers skip it. i say its where a lot of the tourist shots were made for promotional stuff though. You are walking through the rain forest when suddenly you will come upon this abandoned pristine golden beach with cliffs and little islands and blue blue waters. I cant put up photos on this prehistoric computer but check it out on google, well class. Apart of course for the sandflies, horrible, horrible creatures. They bite like mosquitoes but are completely silent and much smaller so you don't realise til its too late. I really do have my mothers blood, got over 30 bites on my arms and legs over the 3 days. I was using insect repellent but they just found any spot that i may have missed. Have been covered in blotches of calomile and doped up on anti-histamines since i arrived back. Thankfully there are not that many here in the North Island.

PS: Who is actually reading this thing these days. leave an 'i do' comment' just so i know i am not talking to thin air

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"i do "
from mom

he he only joking...

Anonymous said...

ohhhh paul ive dreamt about this day since we met


"I DO"

Anonymous said...

i do. but only when i have internet access. so the more accurate response would be "i don't really, but i'd like to more." i really would and all.

mosquitoes kept biting you then? you must have malaria. cos all mosquitoes have malaria. that's why there's no mosquitoes in ireland. not one.

robryan22 said...

i do... when i can.

AJ said...

I Do... only every now and then tho but I enjoy it when I get it :)

Anonymous said...

I got a new one going....

odetodiamondsandjandals.blogspot.com

notice almost same as old name - couldn't log into old blog so started fresh!

xx

Anonymous said...

I do (now!)
Your Wife (back again)

alpha said...

i do